About this course
If you are taking this course, you probably have some professional exposure to the duties of a project manager, or you may be considering embarking on a career in professional project management. Your ability as a project manager to demonstrate best practices in project management-both on the job and through professional certification-is becoming the standard to compete in today’s fast-paced and highly technical workplace. In this course, you will apply the generally recognized practices of project management acknowledged by the Project Management Institute (PMI)® to successfully manage projects.
Obtaining your certification as a PMP can also provide a significant advantage when it comes to salary and earning potential. According to an Earning Power Salary Survey which was conducted by PMI, individuals with a PMP certification garner a higher salary (20% higher on average) than those without a PMP certification. And, employers benefit as well. Organizations complete more of their projects on time, on budget, and meeting original goals when more than one-third of their project managers are PMP-certified, (Pulse of the Profession® study, PMI, 2015).
A. Demonstrate that you have:
- Led and directed cross-functional teams to deliver a project within the constraints of schedule, budget, and scope
- Applied a suitable approach to managing the project to fulfill requirements and deliverables
- Performed these duties under general supervision but were responsible for all aspects of the project
(Tip: Within the application, specifically explain what you did and were responsible for to demonstrate these actions (not what the project team did).
B. Describe your project experience:
During the application process you will be required to individually detail each project you managed professionally. In your description you should include:
- A brief summary of the project objective
- Your responsibilities and project deliverables by process area (e.g. initiating, executing, etc.)
- A brief summary of the project outcome
(Tip: You can use abbreviations for the process groups (e.g. IN for initiating) to allow more space for your description.)
C. Confirm your project management education:
At least 35 hours of formal project management education is necessary to qualify for the PMP. This education must be:
- Consistent with topics included within the PMP Exam Content Outline
- Demonstrated through successful completion of courses, workshops, and/or training sessions that include some form of assessment or certificate of completion
- Obtained in advance of submitting your application but could have been accrued at any point in the past.
D. PMP Exam
The certification exam has 200 multiple-choice questions, and you have four hours to complete it. The price for taking the exam is:
PMI Member: $405.00
Non-PMI Member: $555.00
|Domain||Percentage of Items on the test|
|IV||Monitoring and Controlling||25%|
A bachelor’s degree and 4,500 hours of Project Management experience, and 35 hours of classroom instruction that relate to project management objectives (NetCom’s PMP training satisfies this requirement) – Or
High School Diploma
A high school diploma or equivalent and 7,500 hours of Project Management experience.
-Supporting Documentation is required for the above qualifications. – Pass the PMP exam, which consists of 200 multiple-choice questions to be completed in 4 hours.
If you are starting out your career or moving up as a project manager, Six Sigma by Design’s Applied Project Management certificate program or boot camp can help to successfully prepare and advance your efforts. Our program is an ideal way to gain new, in-demand skills, prepare for your PMP® certification exam, or maintain your credentials with Professional Development Units. Keep abreast of the changes in project management with the PMBOK guide – 6th edition and pass the PMP® exam on your first attempt.
Week 1 0/5
Tools for Professional Approach: It’s not just about learning, it’s about having the confidence to use English in real life and upgrade your business communication skills.